Saturday, September 15, 2012

A New Set of Wheels

Our Saturn is a few years old. She's been a good little car, but now that she's about 12 years old, she's starting to wear down. When Daddy and I met, I had a car and so did he, but he had given his to his older brother. The ironic thing is that the cars were almost identical. Mostly just a slightly different color and mine had a key fob to unlock the car. After we got married, we ended up eventually giving my car to my sister and her new husband and we got Daddy's car. It wasn't a big deal because there wasn't much difference between the two.

Daddy has recently been shopping for a replacement car. It was totally fine with me. I knew the car would give out one day and we'd need it, so why not start looking? Then Thursday he asked if I wanted to go test drive a car... No biggie. We test drove minivans for several months before we bought one. So, we went and test drove a Ford Focus. It was a nice little car. Not too expensive and not too old and in great condition. It was easy to drive and has cruise control. Daddy liked it. I liked it. The Brownies LOVED it! The car salesman tried REALLY hard to get us to buy that night. We didn't. Daddy wasn't too sure he wanted to get it, and we never rush into a large purchase like that. I knew there was a possibility we would go back today for it, but when Daddy came in and told me that he was going to call the dealership and see if they would give him what he wanted for trade in, car price and financing, it threw me for a loop! Suddenly, the possibility went from only possible to real! I was totally fine Thursday with the idea of getting a new car, but now, I was getting cold feet! I would miss the Saturn! I had a history with that car! I loved that car! I almost felt like I was giving up on a loved one or pulling the plug on a loved one.

So, I stewed and fretted over it for an hour or so whilst Daddy went to talk to the dealership and have them look over the vehicle. By the time I got the text asking me to come and sign papers, I had fed the kids, gotten my camera and decided that we might as well do it now. I could say goodbye to our faithful carriage after 8 or more years of amazing reliability. And although I will miss our little Saturn, I will enjoy our new Ford Focus, especially the cruise control and the other features that help keep me from letting my lead foot take over!

So, here we are with the Saturn and then my family inside the new (to us) Focus!


And I can honestly say, there were NO tears involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment